Barker Ryan Stewart was engaged by Coffs Harbour City Council for the provision of civil engineering design services associated with the upgrade of pedestrian infrastructure around six local schools.
Coffs Harbour City Council acquired funding for these works through the 2016–2017 RMS Facilities Around Schools Grant. Once the works are complete, these improvements will create safer surroundings for the students at these schools and help to improve traffic flow throughout the area.
These schools and propose works included:
- Bishop Druitt College – Creating a pedestrian link from the Bishop Druitt College entrance to a neighbouring street and installing new kerb ramps/refuge/blisters while extending the footpath.
- Boambee Public School – The construction of a wombat crossing to replace existing children’s crossing.
- Coffs Harbour Public School – Relocate and upgrade existing school children’s crossing, new kerb ramps, and upgrades to the median including pedestrian fencing. It also included the installation of a new footpath to connect to the existing footpaths between the surrounding streets.
- Mary Help of Christians – The upgrade of kerb ramps, kerb extensions, and a construction of a new footpath.
- Nana Glen Public School – The construction of a wombat crossing and new kerb ramps.
- St Augustine’s Primary School – The construction of a wombat crossing and new kerb ramps.
The designs issued by Barker Ryan Stewart included; new kerb alignments, new raised pedestrian crossings, new refuge crossings, school crossing upgrades, line marking and signage details. Liaison with the involved schools was also required to ensure the project could meet the requirements of the scope.